Travels & Thoughts

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Camera Surgery

August 25th, 2006: John Mayer concert at SPAC. I was so excited not only because of said concert (again, that subjectwould require multiple posts), but I had my brand new camera finally. I got my Canon SD450 on eBay for a Buy It Now. Easy right? Nope. I was foolish enough to pay with a check via snail mail. So that took forever. Then the payment would not clear for the longest time. Finally it cleard about two weeks later and I thought I was close to getting it shipped. No. I called the seller again, who was only about 150 miles away downstate, and they said they hadn't gotten my payment, great. Well, a few days later it turned up and they said they would get it out as soon as possible. Woohoo. Then came nothing, for another week or two. So I called again, asking where my camera was. Turns out they forgot again, and had lost my payment, and filed a did not pay complaint against me on eBay. So I finally got that straightened out, it was their obvious mistake. So they felt badly enough after a month, and I was upgraded to the SD450 (I had wanted the SD 400) for no charge. Cool. Then two weeks later they sent the rest of the acessories, but that wasn't soon enough for the conert. So I bought a 1G card at RadioShack and went off to the show somewhat happy. After being there no more than half an hour, I felt an uncomfortable pain in my pocket as I rolled over on my stomach. So I took out the camera, and turned it on- cracked LCD screen. Ugh, this couldn't be worse. (Mind you I broke two cell phone screens and used them blindly for a while). So whatever, John was awesome and it took the camera dilemma off my mind. At school however, I really missed taking pictures, I photograph anything remotely cool or useful of artistic. It still functioned with the cracked screen, but it was impossible to change the settings, and the pictures were set on a bluish-tint filter, so every picture looks like people are drowning in them. So not too long ago I remembered about seeing spare LCD screens on- you guessed it- eBay and searched for the 450. Yes, buy it now, $70. So that came today, and I was left with the masterful art of replacing this screen, with a precious ribbon cable that went from the back to the front board of the camera. It was very surgical, and meticulous, but I got it done, and now I am happy once again. Just in time for the DJ gigs and Louisiana? (More to come on that)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home