Travels & Thoughts

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

YouTube Star


I felt inclined one day to be entertained, so naturally I went onto YouTube and browsed though the featured videos, which are usually hit or miss in my opinion. Usually anything musically related catches my eye. So obviously the featured video showing a bald, bearded man playing acoustic guitar made me click on it. Perhaps it is my inspiration or desire to deepen my base of knowledge of guitar playing techniques that makes me so curious to see what people have to offer. Well this such video was remarkable. Andy Mckee, a high school dropout, knew what he wanted to do with his life. He was introduced to the guitar and was instantly hooked. The song he plays, "Drifting" is one of his earliest songs written, yet is his catchiest and most creative composition. His combination of slapping and drumming the body and strings is incredible. (Yes, this technique has been around for decades, as guitarists aimed to create rhythmic drumming-without a drummer). The most intriguing aspect of his songs is it feels like one can hear the lyrics to the song, even though Andy is only playing, not singing. It would be extremely difficult to find a vocalist of equal caliber are creativity.

Not impressed? Check out his many other videos on YouTube or visit his website. Still don't feel it? Watch any other acoustic videos on YouTube, and then go back to Andy and note the difference.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home