Travels & Thoughts

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Pro Bono Amplitube

With my new firewire multitrack setup (featured in previous posts), I have been recording a lot of direct guitar through the MOTU 828mk2. I do have a Digitech RP200A multi effects pedal, but for recording use I would prefer a software base modeling solution. Last year I found a simple free amp from IK Multimedia called Amplitube UNO. The much improved LE version comes bundled with Pro Tools LE. The full version, now called Amplitube 2, is one of the best at head cab and mic modeling available. So when I found out that the free version of version 2 (seen above) is a huge step up from UNO, I was using it instantly. The highlights include being able to load MP3s to paly along to, and vary the speed, and loop the file as well. There are about 100 presets with all types of editing capcabilites and unlimited user presets. The GUI is incredible, and the amp style changes for different presets. There are 5 screens in the software: Amp, Cab, Rack, Tuner and Stomp, all configurable to work just like the real thing. Wow, there's a lot too this program, it makes me wonder why it's free? Kudos to IK Multimedia for putting out such a killer freeware amp. Back to learning the solo to "Who Did You Think I Was".

The not so exciting Amplitube UNO.


edit 3/28: The Amplitube I downloaded is a 10 day demo, then after that an agonizing noise is emitted from the program, but you can still use it. Ebay here I come.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home